Aiming for Exercise Success? Here are a few tips to avoid failure when starting an exercise plan or workout session.
Making a plan that is right for you
Below are my three main tips for exercise success:
- Choose an exercise that you like doing e.g. gym, outdoor walking/running, sport, swimming workout DVD at home. If you enjoy it you are more likely to stick with it.
- Decide what time of the day is best for you to exercise…early morning, lunchtime, evening and pencil it into your schedule.
- Have a back-up plan.
Life is full of unexpected events that might interfere with your exercise routine. Therefore, it is important to make a list of alternative exercises. E.g. Make a list of exercises you can do at home, plan an outdoor walk/jog route, find out the opening times of your local swimming pool…
One step at a time
When you are setting your goals, approach just one major life change at a time and try not to put too much pressure on yourself.
Below are a few examples of small manageable goals:
- I am going to exercise three times a week
- I am going to drink two litres of water a day
- I am going to lose 1lb of fat a week.
If you are trying to improve your diet remember healthy eating doesn’t mean depriving yourself.
True health is allowing yourself everything in moderation.
Try to follow my basic top six tips below:
- Add extra vegetables to every meal. Not only are vegetables incredibly good for you they will also help to fill you up for minimal calories
- Stock your cupboards with healthy food so when hunger strikes you will always have something to hand rather than grabbing an unhealthy option. Nuts, seeds and fruit are a good snack option
- Watch your consumption of hidden calories, e.g. sauces, drinks
- Count your liquid calories….for example a medium caffe latte with skimmed milk from Costa coffee has 109 calories in it. You could have a lovely freshly home prepared salad with 75g of prawns for only a few calories more
- Stay away from diet drinks…the aspartame in them is proven to constrict your blood vessels and increase your carbohydrate cravings, leading to you feeling hungry and wanting to ‘graze’ on snacks.
- Drink 2 litres of water a day. Dehydration is one of the main causes of weight gain. Dehydration affects the bodies ability to burn fat, encourages excessive calorie consumption and slows down your metabolism. This all leads to excess fat being stored in your body including around your stomach.
Your own free will
As you embark on a new stage in your life you must embrace Freedom mentality.
Freedom mentality allows you to know that you CAN have any food or drink anytime you want but YOU CHOOSE not to have it.
You are in control. As soon as you start telling yourself you can’t have something you will want it even more.
Relax – and keep going
Try to take some time to have just 5 – 10 minutes of relaxation a day where you can focus on proper breathing and have a moment to yourself.
Stress can interfere with fat loss so try to keep calm, relax and move on.
With this in mind if you fall off of your ‘fitness goal wagon’ don’t stress or get upset just pick yourself back up and start afresh the following day.
Let me know how you get on with these Tips for Exercise Success
Good Luck, believe in yourself and follow your dreams.